Alice's Story (cont'd)
"What's your name?" Jaron asked me. Like hell I was going to give my name.
"Look mister, I don't know what kind of joke this is turning into, but you don't fraternize with your hostages." I glanced around the room. The door was on the far side and Gavot was standing in front of the window. From what I could see past him, we didn't look to be on the first floor. So unless I was willing to risk breaking a leg, or my neck, the window seems out of the option.
"She's frightened and probably thinks we're going to hurt her still, Jaron." Gavot said.
"What can we do to gain her trust?" Jaron sighed and stepped back to lean against the door.
"First off, you can not stand between her and the door. We're on the 4th level of this building and that is the only exit. Second," Gavot turned to face me again. "Young lady, can I help you up? You were knocked down rather hard when we entered this world. I do apologize for that. As Jaron's guard, he is my top priority in all events. We can get you something to drink if you need it."
"No, I just want to go home." I backed away from his outstretched hand and lifted myself to standing next to the bed.
"Very well." Jaron spoke. Gavot looked at him surprised.
"We can't just let her go. We need a guide for this world."
"We can't keep her prisoner either. It's a very bad step to starting in this world." Jaron moved across the room to stand next to his guard. Gavot must have understood something I didn't because he looked settled on the decision Jaron had just made. I back crawled over the bed so that they were on the other side of the room from me and sidled over towards the door. Jaron raised his hands up, palms flat to me, showing he was unarmed. Gavot just stood there with his arms crossed across his chest.
I reached the door finally and cracked it open, quickly glancing to see if anyone was on the far side. Seeing no one, I quickly stepped through. I heard Jaron shout, "Remember us, we still need you in the future." I ran for the front door and threw it open, bolting into the hallway and down flights of stairs. I ran all the way to my Mother's house 15 blocks away in Hampton with never looking behind me. Thankfully she was asleep already when I came in with my key. There was no way I was staying alone tonight in my apartment. I quietly grabbed an extra blanket from the hallway closet and snuggled down on the couch. It was a long time before I could fall asleep, tossing and turning, jumping at all the small noises coming from the house. Eventually I turned on the TV and fell asleep to a rerun of Jimmy Fallon.
I realize now that I never pointed out a location in the first post..I'll make sure to clarify as the story goes on. Forgive any grammar mistakes. This was a stream of consciousness post.
No comments:
Post a Comment