Alice's Story
The room was dark except for a single lamp lit in the far corner. My eyes struggled with the lack of light to make out any distinguishable features of where I was. All I could think was, "Damn..." as my head throbbed. What had happened? Very slowly, as my eyes began to adjust to the room, I sat up and put a hand on the back of my head where the pain was the most. It felt wet and I looked at my fingertips, stained red. I wiped my fingers on my jeans and glanced around the room.
It was empty except for the lamp on a nightstand and this twin sized bed that had no sheets. My breath froze as I heard a noise come from the door across the room. It began to open and panic rose up my throat. In came two tall men, dressed in dark colors. I back-peddled on my rear, bumping against the headboard and falling off the other side of the bed. Suddenly, hands were on my arms trying to hold me still. Voices came out of the man's mouth but they sounded alien to me. I kicked and screamed at the top of my lungs, hitting him in a thigh. He grunted and jumped at me, sending us flat to the floor. Straddling my legs, he grabbed my flailing arms and held them against the floor so I was as immobile as he could make me. I felt tears leak down my face and heard a sob escape my throat as I thought of my family and my job and my distant boyfriend.
Over my sobs I heard a sweet melody. This man was singing to me, softly. I blinked my eyes to clear them and tried to focus on his face. As they cleared, I saw that he was smiling. His incisors were slightly longer than the rest of his teeth and his skin seemed to glow from underneath. Big green eyes stared back at me as I stifled my sobs and began to accept my fate.
I heard footsteps come up behind the man on top of me and more strange words came from his mouth. The second man was much larger, brutish almost. He bent on one knee by my head and I began to struggle again against the first man. The brute moved and positioned my head between his knees so that I couldn't move that either. Tears began to flow from my eyes again. He reached under my neck and I felt a soft rope rub against my skin. "This is it..." I thought. "This is how I die." The rope was pulled around to the front of my neck on both sides and three soft clicks came to my ears and he pulled away his hands and stood up.
"There, she should be able to understand us now." The first man smiled. "We're not going to hurt you. I mean, you've already been hurt, but we're not going to do any more damage."
"Where am I?" I looked around again now that my head was free. I understood the words coming out of my mouth, but I felt my lips move in such a way that there was no way I could have just said those words.
"This was the first empty room that we had found. I'm not exactly sure where we are either. I was hoping that you could help us out in this matter. I'm going to let you go, please do not run. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated." The first man carefully removed his hands from my arms and stood up and took a few steps back.
Taking advantage of this new freedom, I scooted back away from both of them until I hit a wall. I felt the rope at my throat. It was a choker necklace with 3 flat oval beads on it.
"That's our communication device. It's what allows us to understand you and for you to now understand us. Please don't remove it just yet." The first man seemed to frown.
"Who are you?" Again feeling my lips not matching the sounds I heard coming from them felt very strange.
"My name is Jaron. This is my guard, Gavot." He gestured to the other man. "We come from another world. We're here on an exploration mission."
"What kind of exploration mission?" I crossed my arms under my chest. It made me feel like I was pouting, but I didn't know what else to do with my arms.
"We're exploring for knowledge; to find other races similar to ours. We've learned that we cannot progress alone, so we send out scout teams to learn about other species on other worlds."
"How'd you get here? This all seems like a big joke. No one can travel between worlds." I felt anger wash over me. It was great, helped me think more clearly and dull the ache still throbbing softly in the back of my head. If I could keep them talking then maybe I could find a way to escape.
Taking advantage of this new freedom, I scooted back away from both of them until I hit a wall. I felt the rope at my throat. It was a choker necklace with 3 flat oval beads on it.
"That's our communication device. It's what allows us to understand you and for you to now understand us. Please don't remove it just yet." The first man seemed to frown.
"Who are you?" Again feeling my lips not matching the sounds I heard coming from them felt very strange.
"My name is Jaron. This is my guard, Gavot." He gestured to the other man. "We come from another world. We're here on an exploration mission."
"What kind of exploration mission?" I crossed my arms under my chest. It made me feel like I was pouting, but I didn't know what else to do with my arms.
"We're exploring for knowledge; to find other races similar to ours. We've learned that we cannot progress alone, so we send out scout teams to learn about other species on other worlds."
"How'd you get here? This all seems like a big joke. No one can travel between worlds." I felt anger wash over me. It was great, helped me think more clearly and dull the ache still throbbing softly in the back of my head. If I could keep them talking then maybe I could find a way to escape.
No comments:
Post a Comment